Monday 17 December 2012

In my sample basket: Kiehl's

Since their launch in SA a few months ago, Kiehl's has become a favourite to many beauty bloggers and the average Jane. To be honest, I had never heard about the brand Kiehl's before as I have never really traveled abroad and I don't have rich friends who travel ;)

The hype over their venture to SA has calmed down quite a bit so I decided to visit the Sandton City store to get a few samples and put the claims to test.

First off I want to say that I don't really have skin problems, after going on a course of roaccutane earlier this year, so I can't really comment on how the products help with acne or blackheads and problem skin.

Here is what I got to test out:

Ultra Facial Cleanser

This mild cleanser is specially formulated with a sugar-derived glucoside foaming agent to thoroughly cleanse skin and remove makeup, without over-drying or stripping skin of its natural oils. With effective emollients Squalane, Apricot Kernel Oil, Vitamin E and Avocado Oil, the gently formula dissolves excess oil, dirt and debris. pH-balanced to maintain the skin's natural balance.

What I loved
You only need the tiniest amount to make a comfortable amount of foam and this is one of my favourite things about this face wash! Ladies are always searching for reasons to splurge and what is better than "it'll save you money in the long run". SOLD!
My face didn't feel dried after using this face wash, which I find happens often with other facial cleansers I have used in the past.

Ultra Facial Toner

This mild yet effective toner for all skin types helps refine surface texture, while providing the ideal preparation for classic Ultra Facial Moisturiser. Made with effective emollients Squalane, Apricot Kernel Oil, Avocado Oil and Vitamin E, the non-alcoholic toning formula gently removes surface debris and remaining residue while hydrating and comforting skin. pH-balanced for optimal comfort and will not over-dry or strip skin of its natural oils

What I loved
I felt like such an idiot when I applied this toner for the first time because the sample doesn't come with directions or advise on application techniques. I ended up applying a little too much and then washing it off because I was afraid my skin would turn red (I didn't know about the non-alcoholic toning formula at this point).

I gave myself a pep talk, figured out a technique and decided to apply the toner with my fingertips. With pricier products like this, I don't like using cotton pads to apply the toner because most of the product is just soaked up by the cotton.
I really love that it gave my skin a smooth clean base for it to soak up all the goodness in the Ultra Facial Cream!

Ultra Facial Cream

Inspired by their original beloved Ultra Facial Moisturiser, this 24-hour, light-textured daily hydrator leaves skin comfortable and visibly well-balanced, particularly in harsh weather conditions. 
The formula is made with Antarcticine (a glycose protein extracted from microorganisms sourced from sea glaciers and notable for an ability to protect skin from cold temperatures) as well as Imperata Cylindrica, a plant indigenous to the Australian desert which possess superb water retention properties in dry conditions. Their unique combination of ingredients helps reduce moisture loss while drawing and absorbing moisture from the air. With continuous water replenishment throughout the day, skin is smooth, healthy looking and "moisture-even".

What I loved
This is definitely my favourite of the three samples and in this skincare routine. This face cream is potent in moisturising and really understanding my skin's needs. *It must be love*
It moisturised my skin so well and the feeling lasted the entire day. I only needed to use a small amount to get the moisturised feeling. I also found that it gave a great base for my foundation.

What I disliked (overview of all the samples)
I often bring this up, and I hope to do an entire post on the subject early next year, but some of my samples did contain at least one paraben ingredient. It is imperative in some products as it is a preserving ingredient but it might be a problem for some ladies.

Over all, I really see why everyone loves Kiehl's products. Another amazing thing is the wide selection of products! If I had to test out every single one of their products, it would take quite a few months. In other words, it would be difficult to not find something you like.

At the moment there is only a Kiehl's store in Sandton City's Edgars, Gauteng, But there has been an exciting announcement of a pop up store making an appearance in Canal walk's Edgars from mid December 2012 to mid January 2013. This is a perfect opportunity to buy some great Christmas gifts for close friends and family :)

Thanks so much to the friendly staff at the Kiehl's store, for my samples. I also felt privileged to see the 'Mr.skeleton guy' who became quite famous at the store's launch a few months ago.

Follow kiehl's on Twitter.
Don't forget I am also part of the cool kids on Facebook and Twitter ;)

I am hoping to gather all my 5cent coins and splurging on some full size products from keihl's soon!

Miss Claira-Bella

Xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Aw, jealous! Too far to get those lovely samples :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the pop up store on Saturday. You should try the midnight recovery concentrate, it's amazing. I went to buy the full sized product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely get a sample next time I'm there :)

      Delete

Comment Here :)